Friday, February 27, 2009

Snort-SGuil IDS and new Debian version


A little background: Late last night after everyone else in the house went to sleep I was watching TV and doing a bit of research on an intrusion detection system (IDS) project I am working on in my spare time. I am a fan of the Snort IDS system and have been working with it for at least 5 or so years. About 4 years ago I was introduced to a network monitoring front-end that does outstanding data correlation and event reporting without having to perform regular browser-screen refreshing like you would have to do using the legacy ACID or BASE packages. Its called SGuil and you can read more about it by going to this link.

Anyway last night while I was looking around for SGuil configuration tips and advice I appened over to the Debian Linux homepage and what do I discover???! I found out that Debian 5 is now out as it just was released on February 14th, 2009. Well I immediately started a download of a net-install CD so I can revamp my IDS that I was just getting started on loading. I got as far as loading SSH, Apache, and Snort where it was capturing data on 3 NICs using passive taps when I made this discovery. Its easy at this point to blow it away and reload it with the latest version of Debian packages (and better as bug fixes and vulnerabilities are addressed in the new versions of the packages.) Something to do this weekend. Joy! :-) I mean...what else am I going to do...watch NetFlix all weekend?

No comments: