Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Suddenly back at UCSF

Folks-

What was supposed to be a routine visit to the doctors office turned into a trip to UCSF where we are all presently at. On Monday (yes, just after my last posting) Jason was seen by his cardiologist who recognized signs that Jason's health was very concerning and she had Jason readmitted to UCSF. (For everyone out there who's heart just stopped: Jason is presentlty OK.) Just as Jason got to his Dr's appointment he started presenting signs that his circulation was not all that well and our doctor caught onto it and took immediate action. I got called by my wife who told me the news. From there I had to hurridly & sloppily pack (I later found I did a rotten job at that) and leave work to meet with my wife so we can then travel to San Francisco where Jason was going.

That evening Jason had what was reportedly a great airplane ride to the hospital and the very next morning they performed a cardiac catherization. They determined that Jason's BT shunt was filling up and occluded. But Jason's circulatory system has built up extra blood vessles in the area which are referred to as 'collaterals' (sp?) and these have taken up the task where the shunt could not pass blood volume. I guess sometimes you can't top the wonder of nature and its ability to compensate.

Right now Jason is in surgery for his Glen operation and so far reported soon to come out as things have been successful in operating room. Jason was scheduled to have these exams and surgeries at a later date but everything got moved up because of his situation and the sudden onset. Anyway I will keep you posted. But everyone should know that Jason has been doing fine all along and handleing the change of routine very very well. He is in great hands here. These people are rock stars.

No comments: